When you have bought or made your own Absinthe how to prepare it is the next issue because Absinthe is not like any other alcoholic beverage, it is usually served diluted with iced water. Absinthe was served in the traditional way in La Belle Epoque in France and Switzerland. A person can learn “The Ritual” or “La Louche” without any difficulty.
Absinthe How to Prepare using The Ritual
To perform the Ritual, you will need the following:-
– Absinthe – A good quality Absinthe containing real herbal ingredients such as wormwood, aniseed and fennel. It is necessary to have thujone in the Absinthe.
– An Absinthe glass – An antique Absinthe glass or replica one. AbsintheKit.com keeps a stock of replicas of antiques such as Pontarlier glasses and Eiffel Tower spoons.
– Use a slotted Absinthe spoon.
– One can utilize a cube of sugar.
– Take iced water in an Absinthe fountain or in a carafe.
Instructions for preparing the perfect Absinthe drink:-
– Pour 25-50ml of Absinthe into the glass.
– One has to rest the Absinthe spoon over the rim of the glass and place a cube of sugar on it.
– Slowly drip iced water over the sugar either by dripping from the tap of the fountain or by using a steady hand to pour from a carafe. It’s gradual dripping gives the sugar chance to dissolve and drip through the slots of the spoon. As soon as the water mixes into the alcohol a “louche” effect is seen. The Absinthe louches because the essential oils of the herbs are not soluble in water.
– The Green Fairy, Absinthe is good to enjoy.
The Bohemian or Czech Method
This method of preparing Absintheis not traditional but is a modern way of preparing cheap Czech Absinthes. The Bohemian method is despised by large number of Absinthe followers.
You will need:-
– Take an Absinthe glass
– An Absinthe slotted spoon
– A cube of sugar is needed
– One must have a lighter or a match
– Iced water
Instructions and tips for using the Bohemian method:-
– Pour 25-50ml of Absinthe into the glass and dip the sugar cube into it to soak the sugar.
– The process is to place sugar cube on the Absinthe spoon and rest on the rim of the glass.
– The sugar cube should be kept alight for sometime to caramelize and melt. A person will need a spoon to drip sugar into the Absinthe.
– One has to keep the spoon into the Absinthe and pour the iced water into it for releasing the flames and causing the Absinthe to louche.
– How to enjoy Absinthe drink .
* Care should be taken with this method because the Absinthe in the glass may set alight too *
Absinthe can also be used in many cocktails. Ernest Hemingway liked mixing it with champagne and referred it as “Death in the Afternoon”.
There are many mysteries, stories and legends surrounding Absinthe about it’s preparation, its history, the ban and the revival. Now it is ready to give the enjoyment to the drinker.